Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cabinets

So the next thing we managed to do was paint the cabinets.  I spent quite a long time researching just how to do this, so as not to make a complete mess out of the cabinets.  The process started with, removing old hardware.  Then there was a good cleaning, a light sanding to rough up the glossiness, and next I painstakingly applied 2 coats of primer.  Being sure to sand between coats.

One thing I knew I wanted to do was to modify the cabinet doors somehow.  I searched pictures of kitchen cabinets on the internet and found that a simple framing element would drastically improve the look of the kitchen.  I especially liked what is called the "shaker" look.  Because the cabinet doors were ever so slightly beveled at the edges, we decided it would be better to set the frame in a 1/2 an inch or so.  They turned out better than I could have imagined.  Three coats of paint went onto the cabinets with sanding in between. 


I think my favorite part of this whole project was watching Dan with his step-dad and our son all working together out of our garage.  The saw dust, nails, light hearted banter and careful instruction all reminded me of the millions of times I "helped" my dad work on any given project when I was a kid.  I learned so much from him those days in the garage.

While the boys went to work on the frames for the doors, my mother in law and I started in on the hardware.  We buffed up the shiny chrome with some sandpaper, then applied a spray primer in a rust color.  The final coat of blackened bronze paint would be applied next.  I forget where I saw it, but some smart blogger put the itty bitty screws into  styrofoam and sprayed the heads of them without so much as a splatter of paint on herself.  This was an idea worthy of stealing!


I chose the blackened bronze finish for the pulls and knobs, switch plates and hinges, because it gives the house a more updated look. While I did purchase new knobs and pulls, I reused the hinges, saving a small fortune!

Next, the counters and the sink!  Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me: