Thursday, October 3, 2013

There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.



There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. 
Proverbs 18:24

I am a middle sister.  I have two beautiful, intelligent, fun sisters who flank me on either side of the birth order.  I love them both dearly.

Both of my sisters have had the immense heartache of losing a child.  I have never known that grief, and while I do cry, pray, and try to empathize with their sorrow, the truth is,  I just don't know what that kind of heart wrenching pain is like.  But there is One who knows.

If it were possible, I would take their grief and share it with them, somehow making it less for them.  But it isn't possible.  Even if I had experienced similar tragedy, the fact that I know what they are feeling won't remove or even lessen their loss.  There is only One who truly removes our sorrow.  Only One who has destroyed the lasting effects of death, grief and mourning.  His name is Jesus and He sticks closer than a brother... or sister.

This side of heaven, they will continue to bear the loss.  In this life it won't leave them, but there is a promise; a promise of life eternal with Christ; a life to be lived with those who have fallen asleep in Him; a promise that one day my sisters will be reunited with their babies, and their sorrow will end.  Forever.

I can't truly share in their grief, but I can share in their hope.  I can remind them that there is One who has conquered death. One who has defeated it.  Death no longer holds us.  When we believe on Christ for our salvation, repenting and believing on Him for life, we are promised new life.

Outside of Christ, there is no life, there is no hope.  Repent of your sin.  Believe on Christ for the forgiveness of your sin and for the salvation of your soul.  It is in His life, His death, and His resurrection that we are given this hope of eternity with Him. He alone will turn our mourning to joy.
Amen, Come Lord Jesus.

Sallie









No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me: