Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Beast of a Dinner

So tonight during dinner, my husband complimented me by saying, "Great dinner, hun."   To which my teenager added, "Yeah, it was a beast!"

I figured that warranted a blog entry.

Tonight's dinner was pretty easy.  BBQ pulled pork sandwhiches and coleslaw.
It starts around noon. I put a 3lb. boneless pork shoulder into the crockpot.  Using a seasoning packet for crockpot BBQ Pork, I followed the directions for the sauce and poured it over the pork.  Cover and cook on high for at least 4 hours.  Later when it was done, I used two forks to pull apart the meat.

We like to use divided plates for messy meals.  Mine is pink :)
Next my attention went to the rolls.  Using "My favorite dough recipe" (from a previous blog entry) I added the ingredients to the bread machine and set it for "dough".  Later, I measured and shaped the dough into sandwhich rolls, letting them rise for an hour or so.

The coleslaw is an imitation of KFC's coleslaw, and my husband's favorite.  I used bagged slaw and just made the sauce for it.  Here's the recipe:

1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4  cup milk                          
1/4 cup buttermilk*
2 1/2 TBS lemon juice
1 1/2 TBS white vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise (or miracle whip)

*I don't usually have buttermilk on hand so I increase the milk to 1/2 cup and just pour the lemon juice into the milk and let it thicken for a few minutes.  Then I add it to the rest of the ingredients.

Whisk all the ingredients together and pour over slaw. Toss and then refrigerate 2+ hours.

Now, I have never lived in the South, but I do watch The Food Network... hmmm strange sentence.  What I mean is I have watched OTHERS from the South make BBQ pulled pork, and I have noticed a common occurrence;  the putting of the coleslaw ON the pork IN the sandwich.  YUM!  I'm the only one in my family who enjoys this combination of creamy-cold and spicy-sweet, however, I highly recommend it!

Open a can of baked beans or a jar of applesauce and you have a very tasty and easy meal.  :)


yummy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me: